Re: [Amps] Alligators

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alligators
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:20:54 -0800
On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 22:29:06 +0100, Peter Voelpel wrote:

>You should come over and try to run a frequency with 100-400W.

I spent 50 of my 51 years as a ham in a city (mostly Chicago) on a
tiny lot with low dipoles. For all but the last 3 years, I ran 100
watts. I really doubt that the QRM is a lot different between EU
and North America. There are many very big signals here too. :)

>What receive antenna do you suggest to suppress S9+ qrm in Europe?

There are many excellent receive antenna projects in books like the
ARRL Antenna Book, ON4UN's book, and books published by EU radio
societies (for example, RSGB). There are antennas you can build,
and products you can buy. There is a tutorial on my website that
shows how to use ferrite chokes and other filters to minimize
receive noise. W8JI has some great stuff on his website. Also
google for K9AY.

There are also huge differences between the receiver sections of
low cost transceivers and more expensive ones. The better receivers
have far less overload and spurious noise generation from stations
on adjacent frequencies. For example, search the ARRL website for
an article by an EU ham on "The DX Prowess" of ham transceivers. It
was written about 5 years ago.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC