Re: [Amps] drive power

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] drive power
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:28:00 +0000
Bert Almemo wrote:
Hi Tom,

What you're saying makes sense. I have an IC-746 driving an IC-2KL and that
amp needs about 35-40 watts drive. I'm reducing the drive but maybe that's
not the way to go. Any ideas?
If you can cap the rig's output without using ALC - for example, by using the rf clipper output level - then my personal preference is to go for backing off the power. The few times I've looked at this, the high order IMD drops off dramatically, and it's this which others will often see as defining how wide your signal appears.

Steve