Re: [Amps] amp hardware

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] amp hardware
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:40:44 +0100
Peter Chadwick wrote:
> Steve asked:
>> If I'm building up an amp (the RF compartment particularly) with aluminum
>> sheet and angle stock, should I be using aluminum bolts/nuts/washers to
>> avoid galvanic corrosion?<
> Is it going to be in the shack, or outside in a damp shed?
> If in an indoor shack, I wouldn't bother.
> Even in a damp shed, I've had no problems with aluminium and BZP...

I'd echo that - no problems with amplifiers stored in a seaside caravan
for many years. One option to consider is getting the aluminium parts
chromate passivated (Aludyne or Irridite in the US?). Costs vary wildly
but you might find a plating shop that will do a batch for cash. Make
sure there's no confusion with anodizing - which you don't want.

Steve