Re: [Amps] Does it matter?

To: "Amplifier- List" <amps@contesting.com>,"Paul M Dunphy" <amplifier@ve1dx.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Does it matter?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:22:15 -0400
>     In terms of a typical amplifier - pick one that uses a
> pair of
> 3-500z for example; any one - a TenTec Centurion, a
> Kenwood TL-922,
> an Ameritron AL-82, etc.  Would it make any difference in
> your
> maximum output power if you used #12 gauge or #6 gauge
> mains wire for
> the 35-foot run from the distribution panel to the plug in
> the wall
> for the amp?

It is certainly possible to predict the changes if we know
power supply ESR and power line drop with a resisive load..

>     I think that was the intent of the question by the
> original
> poster way back when.  Is the voltage drop on 35-feet for
> 12 gauge
> wire going to make any difference on the output of a legal
> limit amp?

The TL922 is not a legal limit amp by any stretch of the
imagination and it does not have a particularly stiff power
supply, so I doubt a 35 feet of #12 at 240V will matter.

Sizing the wire for average current is OK for heating, but
it can fool us if we are looking to improve HV regulation.
Just like thinking a regular meter measures the real voltage
drop affecting the HV supply is wrong. I would always size
the wire for at least twice the expected average current.
More if the amp has a particularly stout transformer.

73 Tom