Re: [Amps] My 813GG amp works

To: "Bowen,Scott M. (JSC-CC)[LM]" <scott.m.bowen@nasa.gov>,Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] My 813GG amp works
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:05:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Hi  Scott:

I had a similar event when I fired up my amplifier on 75 meters.  I was out in
the shack early in the morning, working Europe over the South Pole when my wife
yelled out the window (our communication system when I am out in the shack)
that the skylights were opening and closing.  She was awakened by the skylight
over our bed opening and closing.

She was not a happy camper, and explaining to her that it was the fault of the
skylight controller did not help, because I had installed the entire system.

The wiring was not shielded.  The controller was in a utility room near the
roof.  I installed ferrite beads on each lead entering the controller as well
as bypass capacitors.  Helped - but still the occasional interference.
Finally, I enclosed the entire plastic case in aluminum foil and connected to
the bypass capacitors.  It is a real mickey mouse arrangement.  But, it has
worked ever since.

It also helps to move the antenna away from the controller.  The leads are the
antenna, and the controller is the receiver.

73,  Colin  K7FM