Re: [Amps] Power factor and choke vs resonant-choke input supplies

To: Borislav Trifonov <bdt@shaw.ca>,Harold Mandel <hmandel@barantelecom.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power factor and choke vs resonant-choke input supplies
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 18:34:36 +0200 (CEST)
Why are you particularly worried abuot the power factor?
Some simulations a colleague did some years back suggests that in fact, the
choke shouldn't be resonant, but very close to it, such that the choke looks
like a very much bigger inductance rather than a straight resistance at the
ripple frequency. This is done for minimum load, as the choke inductance will
decrease somewhat as the load increases. That's how I very succesfully use
tuned choke input: in addition, I filter in the negative lead, so you don't
need to worry about the case to innards insulation n the capacitor when it's
reasonable size metal cased oil cap. Incidentally, the chokes were always
obtained by a process f scrounging - I've never bought one yet! That includes a
massive 10H 1 Amp one set aside for a project....
I believe Tom, W8JI, has some hair raising tales about his first attempts at
resonant choke input supplies....
73
Peter G3RZP