Re: [Amps] diodes wanted

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] diodes wanted
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:18:13 -0400
Hi Lon,

>         Does anyone have a source for Semtech SCH5000 diodes, or happen to
> have four of them.  These are the diodes used in the power supply of the
> Alpha 77 DX/SX amplifier.

A Google search brings up some sources, but typically they have less
than 4 units available, and at a stiff price, 50 to 100 dollars each!

These devices seem to be simple five-packs of 1N4007 diodes! What I
would do to replace them is to use just that: Series strings of five
1N4007. You can make the four strings you need for less than one dollar
total! Just checked the price at Digikey...

If you feel like spending more money, use five 1N5408 diodes in each
string. That will still only cost three dollars total for the four
strings, and will give you a much more robust rectifier than the four
SCH5000 blocks!

Cheers,
Manfred.