[Amps] Fwd: Question about 4-1000A operation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Fwd: Question about 4-1000A operation
From: STEVEN & NANCY FRAASCH <sjfraasch@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:35:24 -0400 (EDT)
Bob:

I have SPICE models for various tube amps that I have created over the years.
I have a 4-1000 model.  You are welcome to it if you want it, but you'll need
LT Spice from Linear Tech, which is free (www.linear.com).  It is by far the
best free SPICE.  I don't even renew the SPICE software license at work anymore
because it is that good.

BTW: Anyone else is welcome to these SPICE models and the Matlab code I use to
generate the tube transfer funtion.

I ran a simulation and I see vrtually no plate current drawn for a grounded
grid 4-1K with Ep = 1500V. You did not give the bias, but with 0V between grid
and cathode, and the screen grid at ground, there is no current (~ 1 ua).  I
then referred to my 4-1K datasheet.  Eimac only has one constant current
characteristic plot for screen voltage of +500V, therefore, I can't directly
compare your result.  However, when I change the screen voltage to 500V from 0V
(floating it from the control grid), the quiescent Ip is 820 ma, which agrees
with the constant current plot in the datasheet (it has to, my 4-1K model was
derived from that datasheet constant current plot).  If you want a copy of the
datasheet, I can email it to you.  A British ham has these on a website
(g8wrb.com).

I have checked my models carefully against the load lines for many tubes.  I
have validated other operating cases, and use it for amplifier design.

Therefore, I don't think the 4-1K is bad, you just need to compare opereating
points to the datasheet.  Try other biases and plate voltages, and see if you
emulate load lines in the constant current plot in the datasheet.

Suffice it to say, a 4-1000 in grounded grid (screen and control grid at DC
ground) has very low gain.

Email if you want the SPICE and Matlab files.  The SPICE file already has the
4-1K model in it.

73,

Steve, K0SF