Re: [Amps] Drake amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake amplifier
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:59:48 -0400

> 1KW input on CW, 2KW PEP on SSB was the FCC reg back then. For that reason

Maybe a slight technicality, but the power limit was "1 KW AVERAGE dc input
measured using a current meter with a 1/4 aecond time constant. There was
only one limit, not seperate ones for CW and SSB. In grounded grid you were
supposed to add the exciter input to the amp input when figuring the legal
limit.

PEP varied widely on input and output due to voice characteristcs.  On the
two "legal limit" amps I ran back then I consistently ran 2 KW PEP "output"

> many amps of that era had a CW/SSB plate voltage switch. Many left it in
> the
> SSB position irregardless of the mode (;  No sense in throwing away 3dB in
> pileup.

The CW position was also a tune-up position that allowed tuning for tilt,
then switching to SSB with a higher plate voltage and not having to retune.
Actually many of the amps used voltage doublers and if you tuned up in the
SSB position it'd drag the voltage down to the point they'd be mistuned
running SSB. My old Alpha 76A has a heavy enough power supply but the manual
still has you tune in the CW position to prevent over heating the tubes.

73

Roger (K8RI)