Re: [Amps] Drake amplifier

To: "'jeremy-ca'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>,"'Roger'" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake amplifier
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:51:00 -0500
Back then I think very few understood what PEP was. Still today many don't.
In the 1962 (16th edition) Bill Orr radio handbook they have an 813
amplifier project article. It is described as providing "1500 watts PEP
input (750 watts single tone) with 2500 volts on the plates and 2000 watts
PEP input (1000 watts single tone) with 3000 volts on the plates". The
thinking back then was that whatever the dc input was, PEP was automatically
twice that no matter what.

We all know that a pair of 813s tuned to 1000 watts input with a single tone
is not going to provide 2000 watts PEP input.

Even in the 1977 ARRL handbook their description of PEP is a lot of mumbo
jumbo and hand waving to try and describe it and still not coming up with
the correct explanation.

But I don't remember the FCC having anything in the rules about PEP until
the rules finally changed to what they are today to specify PEP output.

Under the old rules the only definition for amateur power was 1 kw DC input
as read on the plate meters that could not have more than a .25 second time
constant. I don't remember anything prohibiting pulse tuning back then
either.

In  all reality an amplifier that would run a legal 1kw input should have
been capable of at least 3 to 5 kw PEP input to avoid flat topping.
Just look at how low the plate input power is on an amp that runs 1500 PEP
output which is close to 2500 watts input. The average power as read on the
meter (without processing) is going to be quite low.

73
Gary  K4FMX