Re: [Amps] crossmodulation in PA ? Thanks for all good??advice

To: sub1@rogerhalstead.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] crossmodulation in PA ? Thanks for all good??advice
From: K8MLM@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:07:51 EDT

Yup... they sure do with big flexible double 00 flexible bonding
connections... the bonding cables are inside the wing structure where you don't
 see
them.   Composites are a problem in some of the new  aircraft.  They imbed
carbon
conducting paths to make sure they can conduct  lightning away.  Look at the
radar dome on the nose of big commercial  airliners.  There are things that
look like ribs radiating from the radar  dome nose back to the metal body of
the
aircraft.  They are there to  conduct lightning away from the nose and antenna
and back to the metal  body.

I've been to one of the Navy Test Facilities where they zap aircraft with
hundreds of thousands of volts to test their integrity.  The aviation
community
is very serious about grounding and bonding.

The surface Navy is also very serious about grounding and bonding.
Especially with very high power radar and numerous radio transmitters and
receivers
in a relatively small area... even and aircraft carrier becomes small  when one
is looking for extra space for an antenna.  Every ungrounded or
"semi-ungrounded conductor in the superstructure becomes a source of cross
modulation and
interference.  Mixing and re-radiation is a constant source  if interference
and the US Navy spends big bucks to keep it under control.

MIL-STD 461E and 464A cover the standards and processes for aircraft, ships
and vehicles.

Bob

K8MLM

In a message dated 9/7/2007 7:37:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sub1@rogerhalstead.com writes:

>Not  quite true.

>Look at MLI-B-5087B, Military Specification - Bonding,  Electrical, and
>Lightning Protection for Aerospace Systems and the FAA  Lightning Protection
>Handbook, DOT/FAA/CT89/22.  My copies are  old, but bonding straps are
>provided at
>Flap and control  surface hinges to prevent welding from lightning
>currents.
>Many  aircraft are hit by lightning while in  flight.  Would you want to  be
>riding on one without properly bonded  airframe and control  surfaces?

Do they still do that?
I've never seen a plane with the  control surfaces bonded like that although
I don't get to see many  military planes. The only thing I've seen so far are
static wicks on  control surfaces