Re: [Amps] crossmodulation in PA ? Thanks for all good??advice

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] crossmodulation in PA ? Thanks for all good??advice
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:36:39 -0400

>Not quite true.

>Look at MLI-B-5087B, Military Specification - Bonding, Electrical, and
>Lightning Protection for Aerospace Systems and the FAA Lightning Protection
>Handbook, DOT/FAA/CT89/22.  My copies are old, but bonding straps are
>provided at
>Flap and control surface hinges to prevent welding from lightning
>currents.
>Many aircraft are hit by lightning while in  flight.  Would you want to be
>riding on one without properly bonded  airframe and control surfaces?

Do they still do that?
I've never seen a plane with the control surfaces bonded like that although
I don't get to see many military planes. The only thing I've seen so far are
static wicks on control surfaces

>A good lightning strike at the top beam could weld the rotor  bearings.  Of

With an average of 3 verified strikes a year to the array and the rotator
was installed March 10, 2001, that's 7 seasons (including this summer) and a
minimum of 21 verified strikes with no damage except for some badly etched
coax connectors on top.

>course a strike that welded the bearings would also  probably destroy the
>motor

When I had the Midland Repeater out here on the old 90' tower the antenna
took a direct hit. It blew the top 18" of antenna apart and blew out the
7/8" heliax about 20 feet down the tower. It also removed the "coax seal"
from every connector at the top of the tower and removed the plating from
those connectors.  I had a Cushcraft ATB-34 at the top of the tower and a
Ham IV about 5 feet or so down in the tower. There was no damage to the
rotator or control (or the ATB 34)

73

Roger (K8RI)

>windings and trash the rotor anyway.  The  bearings would be the least
>problem.

>Bob

K8MLM

In a message dated 9/7/2007 11:47:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,