Re: [Amps] switching power supply for tube amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] switching power supply for tube amplifier
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 22:02:26 +0100
> Another is power supply design, you can not always blame the piece of Si,
> add poor cooling, crappy assembly, under rated caps, no over load/short
> protection (deleted by the bean counters) etc. etc.
It's important to take all the factors into consideration. There's
some brands/designs of tube amps that have a poor reputation here,
primarily because of design failings.

In 31 years of solid state amp design I've killed surprisingly few
devices outside of experimental/development times. In 1990 I
branched out on my own and the first job was a couple of dozen
amps running 150W for an underground comms system. Earlier this
year we had the first field failure, at just under 3.5m
accumulated operating hours. A chip capacitor exploded. The
transistors were fine.

Steve