Re: [Amps] HELP-SB-200 meter

To: km1h@jeremy.mv.com, tonne@comcast.net, rgroh@swbell.net,amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HELP-SB-200 meter
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:23:08 -0700
Re Librarys of Meter faces;

I just sold to a Dave Knepper, of the Collins Radio discussion group, a big
box of earlier generation Weston Panel meters  (the kind that hang on the
front of the panel, not through a big hole. ) The meter faces were
fascinating, quite works of art, with a distinctive style of scale graphics,
and lettering.  A lot of them appeared to be hand lettered/drawn.
I am curious now, how plastics technology was back then.  The 20s and 30
vintage meter cases had well made and finished plastic cases.. Probably a
story there somewhere... PLASTICS!  What was the movie?  Citizen Kane?
Death of a Salesman?

An old timer told me once that at the beginning of WWII for the US, there
was a call by the Govt for hams to turn in any meters they had in their ham
gear, towards producing the radios in the war effort.  He also said that a
real weston meter was Very expensive to have in ham gear, relative to
incomes, etc.   I also have noticed that I feel really old to show, promote
meters used for decades in hombrew equipment, seems always to get an
"eeeewww" reaction from the young folks.  Equipment photos of nicely metered
equipment certainly "date" the gear instantly to the 40's 50's and 60's.

All the Best, 73,
Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Subscribe: http://bambi.net/jamesburg.html
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team