Re: [Amps] 6 mtrs:

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 6 mtrs:
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:26:37 -0400
Lou, you are wasting your time trying to get any meaningful answers from our
self appointed guru.

The 572B is rated to 60 MHz by at least one manufacturer who arguably
actually tested them there. The suggested Ep is 89% of HF ratings which puts
the SB-200 well within that limit. Just because Cetron had no intention of
initially selling the tube for RF use doesnt mean it wont work. It was only
after the audio market didnt materialize that they shopped it for RF. I
seriously doubt that they ever tested the tube above 30 MHz if indeed they
even tested it there and let the Heaths and others be the test beds. However
there were several other producers of the 572B that saw the potential and
quickly introduced their own version of the original Taylor T-160L.

Toms constant referring to lucky, chance or accident really makes me laugh.
My conversions are unconditionally stable at any settings and peak output
occurs exactly where it should. It was no accident. Several others have
tried to copy that design. Some have been successful, others I get in here
from customers who spent good money to have someone else do it for them and
it took off when they tried tuning into their antenna.

Of course output will vary. Using 30-40 year old well used tubes may only
produce 600W wheras new or well preserved oldies will do 750W or more. I
always start by testing an amp at 20M if it hasnt been butchered for CB;
what I get there I will get the same or a bit better on 6M. It is very
repeatable.

Toms repeated comments that he got a sweep tube to work on 6M as a dare is
another hilarious statement. Obviously he forgot about the Drake TR6 which
used 3 6JB6's very successfully. Of course in his eyes Drake didnt know what
they were doing.

Also note that Tom has a long track record of belittling other designs, be
they commercial or ham. Its just that "not invented here" scenario over and
over again until its finally time to just ignore them.

Finally, operating a tube above its frequency of maximum ratings is a well
established and accepted fact. A prime example is the Eimac 4-125A which has
a 120 MHz limit at maximum ratings. However it was used very successfully in
thousands of high band VHF amps including police and government. Eimac shows
typical circuits for 100 and 175 MHz along with suggested deratings. I guess
they didnt have an engineering staff either. I have one of those amps here
which does an excellent job on 2M FM driven by an old 10W Clegg xcvr. It is
used for chasing simplex contest contacts.

As far as Im concerned this thread is over, Ive better things to do than
waste my time in a never ending argument. Tom is especially proficient at
doing that.

Carl
KM1H