Re: [Amps] tuner anomalies

To: dansawyer@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] tuner anomalies
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:16:24 -0700
Dan Sawyer wrote:

> The background: I am tuning a long wire, about 100 feet long.

> The issue is: When a small about of power, a watt or less is applied
> things work well, the SWR is close to 1:1. However if more power is
> applied the 'tune' point jumps a couple of hundred kc and the SWR jumps
> accordingly.

One possibility is that a large amount of RF on the 'grounded' side of
the tuner is upsetting the SWR measurement. You say it worked before --
have there been changes in the path from the tuner to ground, or to
whatever is serving as the counterpoise for this antenna?

Another possibility is that your transmitter is generating a spurious
signal at a frequency close to the operating frequency when the power is
raised above a certain point.  I've had this problem with sold-state
amplifiers.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco