Re: [Amps] tuner anomalies

To: dansawyer@earthlink.net, Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tuner anomalies
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:35:38 -0700
Dan Sawyer wrote:

> Thanks for the comments. Last one first, the signal is clean, pick up in
> a spectrum analyzer shows the spurs are well below 40 db down.
>
> Is there an rf conducting grease that should be used on the contacts?
>
> I haven't checked the ground. It is simply a copper stake driven in
> about 6 feet.

If the chassis of the tuner is hot with RF, there can be a
power-dependent error in SWR measurements. I wouldn't expect a 'jump',
though, this would be a smooth increase.

Also, depending on the diodes used in the SWR measurement circuit, very
low power will often show an unrealistically low SWR because of the
shape of the diodes' characteristic curves. 10 watts should be enough
for most SWR indicators. This effect might appear to 'jump'.

Are there any fixed capacitors in the transmatch? Doorknob types
sometimes break down under power.

You could have a worn or dirty spot on the roller inductor. But this
would probably give a very high SWR with low power that would improve
when it broke down. And it wouldn't be consistent.

Are you watching with the spectrum analyzer as you increase power?
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco