Re: [Amps] SB-200 and SB-220 meters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-200 and SB-220 meters
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:27:12 -0800 (PST)
> Scott McGrath wrote:
>
> Simple technique
>
> 1 - remove the old meter scale from meter
>
> 2 - scan into your favorite image editor (photoshop
> et al)
>
> 3 - make appropriate color corrections (Auto
> Contrast, Auto Levels in
> photoshop may also need 'Dust and Scratches' filter)
>
> 4 - create a TIFF file of meter scale making sure
> drawing is at 1:1 ration
>
> 5 - Bring to local drafting supply outlet and have
> them print it on
> opaque film this is white and about .050 thick
> you can also do this if you have a commercial
> grade printer.   i.e,
> DesignJet. Epson 2200 etc
>
> 6 - Carefully with a X-acto knife cut out meter face
> and drill screw
> holes using old face as a guide
>
> 7 - Install on meter movement you now have a shiny
> new translucent meter
> scale which is fade resistant
>
> ------------------------------
> David G4FTC wrote:
>
> I haven't tried this but the following may work.
>
> Firstly you need to buy some polyester (mylar)
> drafting film which can be used in a laser printer.
> This is sold not only for drafting but also for
> producing films for making PCBs with a UV light box.
> The polyester film is semi transparent and when
> printed the blacks are totally opaque.
>
> Then simply scan the original meter face, touch up
> using photoshop, and print onto the polyester film.
>
> The only problem is that the film is fairly thin -
> but I think it may be rigid enough for the job.
>
> Regards
>
> David G4FTC

You may want to add registration/crop marks to your
graphic image, making it easier to see where to trim
the new meter face.   Also, as long as you're printing
one meter face, you might was well fill the page,
which gives you more than one chance to obtain a good
finished product.

I suggest that after printing & trimming the new meter
face, you seal the toner with a clear-coating. As with
dry-transfer lettering, the first one or two coats
should be very light, to prevent the toner from
lifting.  I prefer a matte finish, to minimize glare.

73,
Bryan WA7PRC