[Amps] ALS-600 with ALS-600SPS SSB problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] ALS-600 with ALS-600SPS SSB problem
From: "Brian Sarkisian, KG8CO" <cqkg8co@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 13:26:54 -0800 (PST)

 The problem I am having is that the power supply is kicking off while
 in SSB.  I can key up the amp into a dummy load using RTTY and CW at
 about 400-500 watts out and the amp and power supply works fine.

 The amp is hooked to an FT-1000MP.  I have the ALC hooked up and
 adjusted.  I am running abt 50 watts in with about 400 watts out, and
 have been testing it on a dummy load .. so the SWR is flat. Mic gain
 has been minimized and processor turned off.  The amp is wired for
 120.

 But once I am on SSB and lets say have been chatting for a couple
 minutes, the amp and power supply will kick off.  Looking at the
 meter on the switching power supply it looks like it is only pulling
 5-8 amps when it kicks off.

 It seems to be a voice thing on SSB.

 I have read a couple reviews on E-ham with people having this same
 issue.  I am hoping there is some sort of fix.

 I have spoken with Ameritron, and they didn't have much to say,
 though he did mention there is a SWR protection circuit and the power
 supply has an line voltage protection circuit.  If there is NO fix
 per say, can the protection circuit in the power supply be disabled,
and I will just take my chances.

 Thank you for your time.

 73 de Brian, KG8CO