Re: [Amps] Off topic : AM .....

To: <ham_amplifiers@yahoogroups.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Off topic : AM .....
From: "Nils Petter Pedersen" <la7sl@online.no>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 15:12:11 +0100
Hi all !
Thank You for a lot of responses on and off list !
I will try to give a response covering most of your answers:
The AM versus FM/SSB discussion in aircraft comms was interesting.
The responses to unwanted detection in raingutters and the like
pretty much mirrored my own thoughts. And YES ,- we do use a lot of
plastic here as well these days :-)
Nobody seemed to be able to imagine a possible connection between part one and
two
of my mail however....
As you can see from my "signature" below I have the abilty to "free" me from
conventional science when I want to,- and imagine how todays technology would
look
 IF ...

* Once upon a time the earth was flat,- and for some it still is...
When that is said : It is a scientific fact, at least for now, that you can not
perform any
type of modulation without using spectrum bandwith (sidebands). If this one day
becomes possible we haven broken all rules of the three-dimensional room
(time/space) and most of todays science will be nonsense.
But: A little to think about :  From the earliest days of radio,- mixing devices
were used to detect modulation, (or somewhere else in the signal chain).
Coherer,
crystal, whatever. And this is also (mostly)
true today, Also in our analyzers /instruments. You could point out here that
if any mixer
gives an output,- then at least two signals must be present.  Then you could
use this
as "sideband evidence"
That would be wrong. a diode gives an output on a clean carrier. A normal AM
detector
will give an output corresponding to the (total signal) modulation envelope and
it will do so even if
sidebands where not present :-)
Remember that what you see, is always depending of what you use to look at
things.
Red glasses will give you a red world !
So unless You are able to actually see a modulated wave using only your eyes,
you
will never know !  And your eyes COULD turn out to be lonlinear, or your brain
could...  :-)
Have a nice day ! I will enjoy my insanity and a cup of coffee here !