Re: [Amps] Tranformer Suppliers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tranformer Suppliers
From: Patrick <flymooney@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 11:49:21 -0500
> In the 30's hams made their own transformers and chokes well beyond the KW
> level. Old QST's and Handbooks had how to articles.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

   My dad was a ham back in the fifties and he built all of his own
equipment, including rewinding the transformers to make them to the
needed specifications. That is why I think there might be a little "it
has to be perfect" attitude when "close enough" will do. If you wait
around until conditions are exactly right, you might be waiting around a
long time. That is why we have a few entrepreneurs and a lot of workers.
Nothing wrong with that. Some people have the personality that enables
them to go ahead into the unknown while others prefer to let them take
the arrows. We need both innovators and operators to keep the hobby
alive. I just cringe when I hear that if someone goes out of business,
then we are all screwed since none of us can do anything on our own. We
are amateur radio operators for goodness sake. We ARE the innovators of
tons of things that I am sure were supposed to be "impossible" or "too
hard to master".

Patrick - KA4ZNU