Re: [Amps] HV Supplies and Diodes

To: "'Jim Tonne'" <tonne@comcast.net>,"'Dennis W0JX'" <w0jx@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Supplies and Diodes
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:28:01 -0500
Since all modern diodes have an avalanche region for reverse current
protection, placing resistors across diodes in a string can only make
matters worse.
Without resistors, current will be the same anywhere in a series circuit so
no reverse current will flow in any one diode unless it flows in all. If
resistors are placed in parallel you force reverse current through all the
resistors. If one resistor happens to be a higher resistance than the
others, or it opens, you then force reverse current through that diode if
the resistance is high enough.

All diodes have capacitance and take time to turn off. In high frequency
switching this can be a problem and capacitors across each diode can help.
At 60 Hz it is not necessary.

The ARRL handbook power supply section says that diode manufacturers
recommend that resistors and capacitors not be placed across a diode string.
All diodes should be of the same type in a string.

Do not mix old and new style diodes.

73
Gary  K4FMX