Re: [Amps] Arcing noise in Yaesu amp

To: José Arturo Molina <joseart@navegante.com.sv>,AMP reflector ADD MESSAGE <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Arcing noise in Yaesu amp
From: Kees - pa7two <pa7two@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:44:01 +0000
Hi Jose,

I repaired quite a few of these amps, so I can tell you some of the highlights
of this amplifier that I would like to share with you:

1 - HV Caps were made for 10 years of usage max. This amp is now like 25+ years
old, these caps make a sissing noise just before they explode.
2 - The filament CT-return is not cut off during RX (add relais!), meaning the
tank circuit can build up very high voltages during RX. When voltage raises
high enough, a flash on the band-switch will occure and simply destroy (contact
actually melt into water drop shape) the contact points, these are pretty small
in size you see.
3 - The 22 ohm resistors in the anode anti-parasite L+R (on top of the anode
cap) are broken.
4 - The 33 ohm resistors in the back compartment (Grid resistors) are broken
(often one of two after a flash over) or out of range.
5 - One of the many doorknob caps, specially on the anode side (1000pf/3kV) is
broken. Also in the tank ciruit a quite a few of this type of caps. I have
replaced many due to the fact that they were out of range due to aging or high
tempratures or simply broken.

Look at the website of  < PA0FRI >. (search via Google) click on the < QRO >
option, then at the bottom of the page you'll find < FL2100 > section. Lots of
text / photo's from my amps.
I hope this helps finding the fault in your amplifier.

Vy 73, de Kees Member of an all HAM familyAmateurRadio : PA7TWO - M5TWO
Locator: JO22jp