Re: [Amps] XCVR Output vs. Amplifier Input Impedence

To: "'Wayne Rogers'" <n1wr@chesapeake.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] XCVR Output vs. Amplifier Input Impedence
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:43:12 -0400
The source impedance (output impedance of the transceiver) has no bearing on
the input SWR of the amplifier. Anything that you do to the source impedance
won't change the SWR at the amp input circuit.

Keep in mind that the output impedance of the transceiver changes with power
level. Just like when you tune the plate and load tuning on your amplifier,
if you change the power level (drive) the tune settings are no longer
optimum because the final tubes present a different load impedance at the
new power level.

As to GG input networks, changing only one element like the coil inductance
will only change the center frequency. It will have very little if any
effect on the matching impedance at either end. Being able to vary at least
2 elements are desirable. You can use a slug tuned coil and tack a trimmer
on each end and when you get the desired match measure the variable caps and
replace them with fixed caps.
The input impedance will be different depending on the power level that you
decide to run the tube at.

73
Gary  K4FMX