[Amps] Fwd: Re: Buck Boost

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Fwd: Re: Buck Boost
From: Commander John <crazytvjohn@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:48:14 -0700 (PDT)

Commander John <crazytvjohn@yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:40:18
-0700 (PDT)
From: Commander John <crazytvjohn@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buck Boost
To: Barrie Smith <barrie@centric.net>

  I suggest you purchase a commercial buck boost transformer designed for this
application.
  They are commonly available on ebay. It took about a month to purchase one at
a fair price $20.  A variac will also do the boost  perhaps a 20 amp unit.
Then It will be adjustable.  For 220vac a dual gang unit is required.  These
cost more.  Use of a filament or train transformer is in the older smaller
handbooks in power supplies.
  john

Barrie Smith <barrie@centric.net> wrote:
  I'd like to increase the output voltage about 10% on a HV plate transformer
using the boost method.

Does anyone know what penalties I may encounter using this proceedure?

Since there's no free lunch, I'm thinking that the voltage regulation will be
similar to what it would be when using a variac. Is that true?

The plate transformer I will be using is 1 amp, CCS. If the boost transformer
is stout, as well, I don't think the regulation will be to bad.

Ideas?

73, Barrie, W7ALW

  W9ZY
                .... Commander John ....