Re: [Amps] Higher power transmitting tubes for "portable" amps.

To: Missouri Guy <n0tt1@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Higher power transmitting tubes for "portable" amps.
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 18:55:05 -0400
Missouri Guy wrote:
> Gents, suppose a guy wants to build a *portable* 1.5KW output
> amplifier.  Would a 8877 be a good tube to use for that or
> is there something better, more rugged, etc?
> So, what do you guys recommend?

I believe there was an article a few years back about a complete
portable amp using the 8877. The PS was a built in switching unit. IIRC
the whole thing weighed less than 30#.  I like the 8877. They are easy
to drive, compact (for the power) and efficient, but hey are a tad on
the pricey side. Imports are, or were available for around the $500 to
$600 range.

73

Roger (K8RI)