Re: [Amps] Bill Orr comment

To: <Gudguyham@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bill Orr comment
From: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:49:10 -0700
Lou: I recall my experiances with 4-1000`s when I ran them in the
70`s&80`s...It was relatively easy to get at least twice the power output
per dissipation rating, and a single tube could be pushed to 2500 watts out,
at least on 20-80 meters where I operate..Now that`s power into a suitable
dummy load...The old glass bottles were TVI/RFI generators if run this way
on the air as I`m sure most should agree..1200-1500 watts output was very
clean if properly driven.
I believe you might see 1500 watts from a single 3-500Z before the tube
reached maximum emission if: Your power supply doesn`t flatten out. Of
course,this is way beyond what I deem reasonable,except for testing
purposes.
The 8877&other ceramic tube amps I have built I would never even think of
trying for 2 to 2.5 times output per plate dissipation rating...They cost
too much for such foolishness,except the YC-156 will easily exceed twice the
rated dissipation in power output. If your PSU is stiff enough,this tube is
an excellent performer and very clean at high power levels too..I believe
Bill Orr produced some great reading for hams as well as practical ideas for
amps,antennas,etc...We all sometimes make comments that are a result of
personal experiance,others opinions may differ..73,Jim..K7RDX..