Re: [Amps] 8877 Advice

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <klahaie@centricata.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Advice
From: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:33:03 -0700
High voltage testing is excellent advice and especially for the large tube
pulls that are unknown,or any high voltage component,vacuum variables,vacuum
relays,diodes,even doorknobs.Trying an unknown tube in an amplifier can
destroy the plate choke,bias,metering,power supply ,etc..I first test with
my hipot for any leakage between grid and anode..This can be confusing if
there is any kind of conducting contamination on the ceramic or glass.Be
sure to clean these areas first.A good rule suggests nearly twice rated
plate voltage without current draw for an unshorted tube.
Filament/heater testing&conditioning is next and then on to slow burn in
with controlled airflow, hv,etc as suggested by the previous poster.
If you don`t have the equipment and are dealing with an expensive tube,then
I suggest contacting a tube rebuilder such as Zonum Industries.They can do
testing&burn in for a very reasonable fee..And for those building around an
unknown tube...Peace of mind! Jim,K7RDX..