Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps?

To: Gary McAdams <g.m.mcadams@comcast.net>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps?
From: Scott Manthe <n9aa@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:26:37 -0400
If I were to buy one of the two, it would be the AL-1500. I like the
idea of being able to drive the amp to legal limit with 50 or 60 watts,
and having the extra "headroom" is nice as well. I'm pretty careful with
my amps, so the fragility issue isn't really one for me. However, tube
replacement cost is. The increasing cost of the 3CX1200A7 should be a
concern with anyone considering the AL-1200. I suspect that the
3CX1200A7 will be discontinued fairly soon, as it's not a terribly
popular tube and not nearly as widely used as the 8877/3CX1500s. The
8877s are still pretty popular and the Chinese are making them now, so
an AL-1500 and a spare 8877 or two should last for the life of the
operator.

73,
Scott, N9AA