Re: [Amps] Titan fan

To: "'John E. Cleeve'" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>, <gsklott@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Titan fan
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:50:45 +0100
Further to my last comment regarding the specification for the OEM fan
fitted to the Ten Tec Titan. I decided to "reverse engineer" the question,
asking "what are the cooling requirements of 3CX800A7 tubes".

Looking back through the reflector archives. On the 10th of March 2002, K4IK
provided the cooling requirements for the 3CX800A7 tube from old Eimac data
sheets as being 19 cubic feet per minute @ 0.35 inches water gauge back
pressure at sea level, and 23 cubic feet per minute @ 0.39 inches water
gauge back pressure at 5000 above sea level.

Fans/blowers now seem to be specified in cubic metres per hour. Looking at
information available on the Internet, conversion from cubic feet per minute
to cubic metres per hour requires a conversion figure, and this is to
multiply the cubic feet per minute figure by 1.7. Following the advice of
the late Bill Orr, who says, in his CQ article on 3-500 tubes, "that you
cannot have enough cooling air, until you blow the tubes from their
sockets", "round up" the conversion figure to 2.

So, it would appear that to find a suitable physical replacement for the
Titan fans, you require a fan of suitable dimensions/fixings, or with a
suitable adaptor fixing plate, then taking the above sea level figures, a
fan with a minimum air flow rate of at least 38 cubic metres per hour is
required, that will provide that airflow into 0.35 inches water gauge back
pressure.

I hope this information will be of use, but as in all things, I offer no
guarantee, please check my figures, but it could be the starting point for a
Titan owner with a defunct fan.   Best of luck, John Cleeve. G3JVC.