Re: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:11:05 -0400
TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> I don't recall seeing any info about hv crowbar circuits. Sounds  interesting
> though. Where is the info?

Originally the "crowbar" was just that.  A piece of metal that shorted
the HV to ground if any one opened the cabinet with the power on.
Opening the cabinet closed a mechanical switch (usually something like
a  knife switch) to ground from the HV.  The tended to be noisy, but
very effective.  You usually didn't forget more than once...or twice.
<:-))  Since then crowbars have become more sophisticated although the
original use still prevails.  However, the SCR, or what ever is used
should be robust enough that it does not fail with use.

The surge protecting resistor is still a surge protecting resistor in
"series" with the HV while the crowbar circuit is in parallel (to ground).

73

Roger (K8RI)