Re: [Amps] Semtech diode

To: wc6w_amps@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Semtech diode
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:52:15 -0400
Radio WC6W wrote:
> Hi John,
>   An individual diode, or other semiconductor device, when it is sawn free
> from the wafer but, unpackaged.

I thought that was a "Die" or do they just refer to the CPU chip as a die.
Back when they were making those diodes the largest Silicon wafer was
maybe a couple of inches across.  About 35 years ago they were in the
neighborhood of 1".  Now they are over 14" in diameter per single
crystal wafer.
Man! What an improvement in yield and decrease in devise cost.

Early "poly" rods were about 3/4" X 16", then they went to 3 and 4 X
50". Now days it takes a chain hoist to lift a rod out of the reactor
and I cant tell you the diameter. Poly is now more pure than the best
single crystal we had in those days and sells for a few dollars a Kilo.
Just think, we used to get $165 a gram for intrinsically pure Silicon.

The place I started working was an old cement block garage next to a
farm house used for the office. They now cover nearly a half square mile
and are starting a one Billion dollar expansion. Before the last several
expansions they were the world's largest producer of Poly.
(Poly = poly crystalline Silicon)

BTW, I've used SCRs that had a 1.5" diameter slice of Silicon inside.
They were water cooled and a pair ran almost unbelievable power.

73

Roger (K8RI and ex Silicon junkie)