Re: [Amps] SB-220 saga continues - ARB-704 experts?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 saga continues - ARB-704 experts?
From: "Alfred Frugoli" <alfred.frugoli@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 21:00:41 -0500
Hello everyone,

Here's a little more of what I'm seeing after some measurements tonight.

Let me give some background on the setup for this rig.

At some point (I don't know if it was me or a previous owner) the amp relay
in the ts-940 was killed.  Therefore I'm keying the SB-220 (through the
ARB-704) and TS-940 with a WriteLog MultiKeyer (the rig and arb-704 are
connected in parallel to the multikeyer ptt port).  When this box exerts
PTT, it drops the voltage from 15VDC to under 1VDC (measured voltages, adn
these are within spec for the multikeyer).  This keys the ts-940 as well as
the ARB-704 and SB-220.

I have a similar setup on a 2nd rig with an TS-940 (without a dead amp
relay) keying an AL-80A through an ARB704.

On the known good ARB-704 I get a lot of resistance between the amp output
and ground (250Kohm) when not keyed, and about 30ohm when not keyed.

On the known problem ARB-704 I get about 15ohms resistance weather keyed or
not.

The relay output on the SB-220 shows about 120-125v dc to ground - within
spec.

I'm happy just to replace the ARB-704 that seems to be non functioning, but
is there something in my setup that's just going to kill another one?

Thanks.

73 de Al, KE1FO

-----
Visit my amateur radio contesting blog at ke1fo.wordpress.com.