[Amps] Ameritron AL-1200 problem on 160 meters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1200 problem on 160 meters
From: <k8dio@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 5:55:16 -0600
Hi,

I recently picked up a used AL-1200.  I tried to tune up the amp, on 160
meters, and have a problem.  I am using a TS-2000 as a driver and reduced the
power, in the AM mode down to 5 watts.  I did this to sneak up on the input
power.  I slowly brought up the power until I saw some grid current.  I put the
meter in power output position and adjusted the Plate and Load controls.  I
only get a small amount of rf output.  I am getting plate current though.  Even
though my inverted L really doesn't provide a good load on 40 meters, I tried
the same exercise on that band.  I was able to adjust the Plate and Load
controls for over 1kw output so I know that the tube is okay.  Viewing the
schematic, it appears that all of the output coils are used on 160 and
capacitors C11 and C12 are brought into the circuit. If I am reading the
schematic correctly, C11 and C12 are the only "fixed" caps brought into the
circuit.  I measured the parallel C11/C12 caps and they measured 350 pf.  The
low
  end of the caps is at ground when the band switch is in the 160 meter
position so I know that the switch is working.  So, I am baffled at what the
problem can be.

I also have a question on the inrush relay K3. It seems that, during power up,
K3 is only on for around .5 seconds.  Is this short time normal?

Thanks,

73, Lloyd   K8DIO