Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1200 problem on 160 meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1200 problem on 160 meters
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:03:41 +0000

In my posting on this subject where I talked about lengthening the time delay
on a step-start
I was referring to my homebrew amp.  I got a few emails from guys asking how I
did it on my 1200.
So I looked up the AL1200 schematic on the bama site to see if I could answer
their questions.
I found what, to me, was an unusual circuit, because I expected a dc relay with
some
electrolytic cap that could be changed, but instead they us an ac relay that
looks like it
activates when the initial transformer impedance (caused by the essentially
short circuit of the
capacitors) rises after power up.  Then the ac relay kicks in and shorts out
the surge resistor, R3.
I told the guys I do NOT recommend increasing the value of R3 in an attempt to
change the
relay pull in time.  I don't know how much initial current is flowing, and
therefore how long
that resistor can tolerate being in line.  So since I don't know, I sure don't
recommend changing
it, especially since there hasn't been a reason that I've seen as to what the
problem is.  It
seems like Ameritron has something that is working fine as is, even though the
relay may kick in
quite fast.

Rick  K2XT