Re: [Amps] Linear Amplifiers

To: amps@contesting.com, EP Swynar <gswynar@durham.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Linear Amplifiers
From: DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:17:46 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Eddy

It's a nice amp though, wouldn't you say?  Nice clean lines, decent looking
components.  It looks like quality construction.

If someone commissioned me to build them an amp (and plenty have asked) I'd be
charging in the same region for it.  I'm charged out at over GBP100 her hour
professionally as a IT/management consultant, so why not for amp building?

It's a bit different for those of us who build for ourselves to those who have
to mass produce and sell for a living.  My amps have all been one-offs, built
around surplus kit and second hand tubes found at fleamarkets from Dayton
to Rochester to London to Friedrichshafen, where I can haggle for a low price
and I can design around my components.  Trying to persuade Virgin Atlantic to
let me check in a 250lb plate transformer on the way home from New
York to London is an enduring memory and one that my wife still laughs about :-)

These blokes have to buy stuff new from suppliers, build and test amps to
commercial grade so they don't get sued, often offer warranties AND they still
have to make enough money to EAT.  Once your Mr Obama starts making you pay as
much tax as we do you'll appreciate that, trust me....

For a new amp made from new components, tested and working I think it's a very
fair price.  I don't know what Henry used to charge for an 8K, does anyone else
know?

OF COURSE us home-brewers can undercut them by 95 percent and to my thinking
no REAL Ham would buy such a thing - we'd build it ourselves.  Unless of course
they've got a real physical disability like multiple sclerosis or Parkinsons
etc and can't hold a glass of water let alone a soldering iron.  Spare a
thought for them.

But the ham bands are full of appliance operators these days, who buy black
boxes off the shelf, which is why exchanging information with you guys on this
mail list is so precious.   We're an endangered species, there aren't many of
us left!  A sad sign of the times, I'm afraid.

cheers

Dave G0OIL