[Amps] LK-500 Blows Filter Cap

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] LK-500 Blows Filter Cap
From: "Larry K4AB" <larry.k4ab@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 21:13:19 -0600
"I love the smell of smoke in the morning..."

Lost a filter cap in my old LK-500ZC this weekend.  The thing is, the caps
were replaced
only 3 years ago.  Some folks say that this is common problem, due to lack
of surge suppression
in this amp.  Then again, some people say it's unnecessary.

What's the group's thoughts?

Is this the reason the amp blows caps higher than others?  I push it
hard...hours of non-stop contesting.
Therefore, the heat really builds up.  Could poor cooling really be the
problem?

Right now, I'm thinking of addressing both issues....a step-start solution,
AND doing something to
improve the cooling.   Is there anything else I should be doing?

By the way, the smell of blown caps is awful!

73,
Larry K4AB