Re: [Amps] Vacuum Relay Issues

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vacuum Relay Issues
From: "Nils P. Pedersen" <nils.pedersen@tele2.no>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:50:18 +0100
Trying to resend this...for some reason it bounced :

 Interesting...
 I see from several relay manufacturers specs that they actually give a
 minimum contact current
 for reliable operation. This varies from microamps to milliamps depending
on
 contact material.
 This is for open frame or standard sealed relays. I was not sure if it
 applied for vacum units as well.
 The reason is apparently that you need to break down microscopic surface
 contamination in order
 to ensure a proper noise free contact.  A fixed DC current of a few
 milliamps would ensure this.
 It could easily be done even in a high RF-power circuit using proper
 decoupling. But take care that
 your decoupling networks DO NOT show any resonances near any working
 frequency! Otherwise
 you might get beautiful fireworks :-) . Several circuits have been
published
 over the years for DC signalling
 and control via the station coax feeder. These are suitable in this
 application as well if you terminate them with the
 proper resistance value . You need only a few milliamps, so using a
 low-inductance high value high voltage resistor as the coupling
 element on both sides of the relay contact might be good. This will ease
the
 need for decoupling and eliminate
 most resonance problems.  You only need to do this in the through path as
RF
 power will take care of
 the situation on the antenna side contact.
 Peter LA7SL