Re: [Amps] 2-4CX100A amp

To: vk3pa@vk3pa.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2-4CX100A amp
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:44:17 EST
The screen requires a path for current flow to the cathode. If this path  has
too much resistance or is an open circuit, the screen grid will tend to rise
to the plate potential. You can look at the tube curves to see what happens
to  the other currents when screen voltage is this high.

A typical design might protect the screen from this condition by means of a
50K resistor between the screen and cathode terminals. With this resistor in
place, failure of the screen supply will result in very low or no plate
current.

I have no experience with using solid state switches in this application. I
do know that a relay will do the job.

Lifting the screen voltage above chassis is no problem as long as the above
screen to cathode resistor is in place. In fact, many designs use this method
as  a means to switch from standby to operate.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/19/2008 9:11:20 A.M. Central Standard Time,