Re: [Amps] plate bypass caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>, <rfamplifiers@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] plate bypass caps
From: "Steve Flood" <kk7uv@bresnan.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:12:44 -0700
I have quite a few of the old-style transmitting mica caps (C-D, Sangamo,
Solar, etc.).  Are these okay to use in a nearly-legal-limit amp for either
plate-choke bypassing, or antenna load padders?  Some of these are marked
for 2500 working volts.  I don't have a hi-pot to check them out (that's
another project in the que).

RF Parts carries them - they are items CM45, CM55, CM60 on their "Mica Cap
Comparison" link.

My setup is 2700v B+, plate load about 2500 ohms.  The PI-EL program shows
about 420 volts and 7 amps at the antenna load variable cap.  In case I need
a little less loading om 160m, I'd like to pad it with 500pF.

Steve KK7UV