Re: [Amps] SB200 and Genie garage door opener

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB200 and Genie garage door opener
From: Ryan Foster <foster.ryan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:43:02 -0500
I don't know what your garage door opener looks like, but I had a
similar problem with one from Sears that was cured with two .01
microfarad caps.

--Ryan w8cya

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:32:23 -0800 (PST), Dave Haupt wrote:
>
>>I put a serious AC line filter on the garage door opener,
>
> Great information, Dave. If this is what's happening to Frank, the
> SB-200 may be causing other problems via the power line that
> haven't yet been discovered. In that case, it would be good to put
> a power line filter on the SB-200. There's an old-fashioned
> electronics surplus warehouse in Silicon Valley called HSC (also
> known as Halted Specialties) that has a broad section of line
> filters from good companies like Corcom and Delta, nearly all of
> them rated for 250VAC. A month or two ago, I found several that
> are big enough to use on my Titan power amps and another that is
> big enough to put on the 6kVA generator that runs my well motors!
> I think I paid about $15 for the Titan-size filters, and maybe $25
> for the 40A filter. HSC has a web presence. Google to find them.
>
> Another point though. Often, RFI problems that are blamed on the
> power line are really the result of improper grounding. All
> grounds in a home -- ground rods, antennas, towers, ham shack,
> telephone, CATV, and power system bond -- must be bonded together
> outside the home at a single point. This is critical for lightning
> protection, but it's ALSO critical to minimize RFI and hum/buzz
> problems. If one or more of those bonds is missing, that could
> easily cause problems with RFI, hum, and buzz.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they
should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of
independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would
include their own government." --George Washington