Re: [Amps] SB-220 and Xfrmr Smoke...Part 4

To: Jim W7RY <w7ry@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 and Xfrmr Smoke...Part 4
From: Jack Shirley <jcshirle@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:02:32 -0500
I looked at your pictures and have the following comments:

1) It looks like you painted the transformers. Bad idea.  Why?  Chances are
that the paint contains carbon. A lot of black paints do. I had a friend who
restored a Henry amp and didn't like the surface rust and spray painted them
black. Well he ended up buying both a new plate transformer and choke from
Henry.  Some of the paint might have dripped into the windings. This is why
you might be loosing transformers. Once you painted them, there isn't a
really good way to remove the paint.

2) your use of a coat hanger for part of the tank circuit. I doubt that you
can get a good inter-metallic solder bond to the steel with standard RMA
tin/lead solder. It might "look" ok, but it will come apart with thermal
cycles. Go to you local hardware store and buy a piece of # 12 or #14 copper
wire. It will solder so much better.
I took another look at your photos and would say they appear to me to be
CSJs ( cold solder joints).

3) Put back the HV interlock!

It looks like you are not doing a 100% vintage restoration.  So why bother?
There are plenty of good SB-220s out there that don't need this much work.

Good luck... Jack N8DX