Re: [Amps] Transformer heating (problem?)

To: "David Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer heating (problem?)
From: "Paul Kraemer" <elespe@lisco.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:44:16 -0600
David
Have been watching this thread, looking for an answer and am throwing this
theory out for consideration.
Sometimes with motors they can actually draw more current running un-loaded
than under full load all due to the power factor of the design.
I recommend one of those Kill-A-Watt testers that are readily available for
about $20 on line everywhere as a very handy to have around the shack or
home to see just what is going on with an appliance. Displays power and
power factor on 120vac loads. Realize you have 240 volt transformer but
would be interesting to see what readings are running on 120volt just to
test load and no load conditions.
Also, if you could look at sample of primary current on a scope that could
be a real eye opener.
A true rms clamp on meter measuring primary current ---another possibility.
Just some ideas for consideration
Paul K0UYA