Re: [Amps] MGF1502

To: "'KB0NLY'" <kb0nly@mchsi.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MGF1502
From: "Cliff Frescura" <cf@cfcorp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:43:07 -0800
Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics parts brokers/independent
distributors!

Most of these firms will have a minimum order of $100-$250.

Depending on who you talk to in the electronics supply chain, they are
either savior angels or opportunistic devils.

Their ideal customer is an OEM or Contract manufacturer who is in a pinch
because they are manufacturing an old board design (trying to avoid the cost
of a redesign) or there has been a run on parts (long lead time) normally
purchased through franchised distribution and they can't afford to have a
manufacturing line go down because of lack of parts.  Bottom line is that
the OEM or Contract Manufacturer will pay very dearly because the
astronomically high cost of the parts is still less than the cost of a
redesign or line down.  Recently, many substandard/counterfeit parts have
been discovered in the broker channel (missing die, wrong die, remarked
packing, manufacturer rejects) and traced back to... you guessed it - China.
This is a big problem for Aerospace and Defense OEMs.

73,

Cliff K3LL