Re: [Amps] GI7B Max Plate and Grid Current??

To: KD7QAE <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GI7B Max Plate and Grid Current??
From: Jeff Blaine <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:02:55 -0600
Scott,

You are right.  The data out on the GI7B is hard to come by.  The Pd max
of the GI7b is 7w.  But I've not been about to find a set of curves that
reflects the common set of op conditions which makes it hard to model
the Ig max.

However, from experiement, 90 ma per tube is about the max before
strange things begin happening.

With 2500V on the plate loaded, this level of drive will give me over
1KW out.  Lower plate voltages will require higher drive levels and
given the low grid dis of this tube, I opted for a higher plate voltage
so that I essnetially operate at a lower drive level for a given PO level.

If you drive more than this approx 90 ma per tube, you will start to
notice a strange thing with the grid current.  It will zoom up, and then
over the 1-2 seconds, slide back.  There is no hard evidence as to what
is happening but a reasonable case can be made that as the grid heats
up, it's dimensions change slightly.  PO does not drop under this case,
however.

It's not know if this is bad for the tube or not.  The late (and great)
Tony W4ZT told me once the tube could take up to 250ma, for example.  I
suppose a guy could setup a test and hammer the grids wtih a
progressivly higher current (pausing at each step) - untill the tube
dies, and then chop the tube up to confirm the grid damage.

On the plate current, I use a 1A scale for a pair.  At higher plate
voltages, the typical Ip is in the 600-700ma range for the set -
limiting factor is running up to the plate dis limit (assuming a 60%-ish
overall efficiency).

Good luck.

73/jeff/ac0c