Re: [Amps] [amps]SB200 on 6m & my take

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] [amps]SB200 on 6m & my take
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:48:20 +0000 (UTC)

I've started this email three times now...

You guys on the list have always been a great help and resource for me.   This
subject comes up every few months, but JEEZ....what the HELL is the problem
with you guys?

If you all were in a room together discussing amps or on the air, would you
behave this way?

Who cares if so and so sells this or that and it's not so good as something
else.   As a professional software engineer, I'm sure people look at my code
and say how crappy it is too!  BUT it does (hopefully) work.   At least I try
to make and test it as much as possible.

The 3cx800a7 has full ratings to 350 Mhz, yet there are many designs with it in
operation to 450Mhz and beyond...just with reduced outputs.

The 3-500z's have full ratings to 110 Mhz, yet there are designs with it on 2m.

Let's example the television sweep tube 6KD6, 6LQ6, what are those rated to in
a class AB1 rf amplifier?   Yet, still there are were many home brew and
commercial amps/finals built to use it.

Did anyone ever used to overclock their PC to get more performance?   How about
hopping up the small block 289, I bet changing the cam, intake, etc exceeds
what the manufacturer recommended.

The point is that part of the journey is to make the most of what you have.
If I had an SB200 and wanted an amp on 6, I would probably look into converting
it rather than going out an getting a new one.   The key point being I would
also be looking at what I want to accomplish or what my goals and expectations
are when using such an amp.    Obviously trying to run 1.5Kw output in a full
duty cycle mode is out of the question, but for casual contesting or sporadic E
work (how often does that occur), I suspect it would be fine.

Paul, kg7hf