Re: [Amps] SB200 on 6m & my take

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB200 on 6m & my take
From: "Dave Harmon" <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:25:03 -0500
Recently I got a set of Taylor 'Select' 572B's from RFP for use in one of my
30L-1's and I must say they have been running very well with no problems
other than the little 'tang' that sticks out the side of the base is a
little longer than the 811-A's so a small slot needs to be filed in the
30L-1 chassis to allow the 572B to fit in the socket.

It would have been much easier to file the tang down on the tube but I
didn't want to do anything to the tubes to make any warrantee questions pop
up.
Good thing too as one of them was defective and RFP replaced it with out
question.

Also, if using these tubes check to see that the plate is vertical when
plugged into a horizontal socket....the plate on one of my tubes is tilted
about 15 degrees.....it hasn't caused any problems and I quit holding my
breath several weeks ago but it is something to be observed and replaced if
needed.
Other than that....I'm very pleased and operate the amp at full power with
no 'events'.
In case anyone is interested, I routinely operate the 30L-1 at 800ma and
1000 watts output.
This is on the original power supply....it should be even better once I get
around to installing the YK Systems power supply board in the amp.

More recently, I installed a set of the Taylor 6146B's in an old KWM-2 with
the ceramic neutralizing trimmers and of course it worked just fine and the
trimmer was in good position.
This was the first time I used a non-US mfgd 6146 in any of these rigs and
it worked well.
Yes, I am familiar with the warnings of using these tubes with ceramic
neutralizing trimmers but these trimmers are adjustable, not fixed
neutralization like in some commercial applications of yesteryear where the
use of tubes not type accepted for use could cause problems.

Regards

Dave Harmon
CCA 97-535
Midwestern Collins