[Amps] Hipersil the myth and the truth (Thread)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Hipersil the myth and the truth (Thread)
From: Gary Komassa <garykc50@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:21:52 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Ham Friends,

I was reading some of what was written about Myth and Truth concerning Hipersil
cores.  I worked for Dahl for 35 years.  All our C-Cores were purchased from
Westinghouse in the beginning.  That is why he started using the term
"Hipersil" .  It was NOT for a selling term however that's what the customers
were using with their requests and insisted on that term for the C-Cores.  Yes,
I have heard Hipersil material is available in the EI lamination's too.  The
problem was if you were to purchase EI Laminations with that more expensive
material one would be accused of gouging the public and they would insist they
could buy the Transformers elsewhere cheaper.  Remember, you cannot easily look
at the physical characteristics of a Transformer and determine what the
material is.  We used 4 mil material, 7 mil material, 11 mil material and 12
mil material.  When you looked at his Transformer did you determine which
material it was?  The
 Transformers Dahl designed were typically designed for 55 degrees c and I know
for a fact he tried his hardest to cram as much copper along with some of the
finest and most expensive insulation available between the windings and
layers.  Most companies will use copper that will barley accommodate the
required amperage and the least expensive kraft paper but Dahl always exceeded
that by huge margins.  The only time it was questionable was when the amplifier
manufacture made the available space so small nothing would fit with any
improvements.  That is why many were offered in "outboard" configurations.

The other thing I would offer is look for Dahl Transformers on ebay.  All those
with a yellow and white label and colored in amber were MADE IN THE 70'S.  We
changed ours to black because a customer buying a half a million dollars a year
insisted they wanted black as it looked much better in their Broadcast Radio
Transmitters then the amber color.  It has nothing to do with heat
dissipation.  Strictly cosmetic.  It became standard as we only had one dip
tank.

I will answer any other questions you may have if I can as I did all the
Purchasing, 95% of the sales, the payables and put out all the "fires" and
wound, tested, baked, and shipped them for the first 13 years.  Was in the
office the rest.

The last thing I will add is the "serial number" is the date of manufacture so
if you purchase one and the person says it is new you can tell if he is
honest.  We did not date the amber colored units.

Please go to this web site and read carefully:
 http://www.tech-systems-labs.com/books/hipersil.pdf

This book in the above web site  is the main one Dahl used to form his
designs.  I am not an EE but spent a lot of time with Transformers.

Thank you,

Gary