[Amps] Power supply question

To: "amps@contesting" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Power supply question
From: Mike Saculla <fqm@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:28:53 -0700
With your basic FWD circuit essentially 2 capacitors, or 2 banks of capacitors,

get alternately charged by a single transformer by 2 diode strings. The entire

cap banks is then charged at a rate of 60 Hz. In contrast a FWB charges the cap

bank at a 120 Hz rate.

For my amplifier I am going to use two identical transformers. I was planning on

wiring their secondaries in series and feeding a conventional FWD circuit. Then

yesterday I started thinking: What if I did not series connect the xfmrs but

instead, had each xfmr feed it's own FWB rectifier. This makes essentially 2

separate (pulsating) DC supplies. Now, what if each "supply" charged each of the

2 banks of series connected capacitors that normally make up a FWD circuit? Each

bank is now being charged at a 120 Hz rate, but I am still getting 2.8 times the

RMS of the 2 transformers across the two banks of caps. Would this work?

The advantage over a conventional doubler circuit is the cap banks is charged
120
times per second as apposed to only 60 times a second.

Mike K6MDS