[Amps] filament transformers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] filament transformers
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 20:40:02 +0000 (UTC)

Hello builders,

My amp continues to grow.   I'm trying to pick out a filament transformer, such
and easy task.

The amp is based on a 3cx800a7 which requires 13.5V +- 0.6V at 1.5A.    I was
thinking that a 14V transformer would work great.   Ideally, I would like to
build the amp with the option to eventually be expanded to a pair of 3cx800's
rather than the single.   This would mean I need 3.0A

On digikey , they have a 14V 3.0A transformer

http ://search. digikey .com/scripts/ DkSearch / dksus . dll
?Detail&name=237-1279-ND

and a 14V 4.0A transformer

http ://search. digikey .com/scripts/ DkSearch / dksus . dll
?Detail&name=237-1094-ND

So my questions are:    Is it acceptable to use the higher current rating in
the single tube version of the amp?   Would current inrush be an issue?   Is
the 3A version enough, should I get the 4A version or something even larger?
Or, is there something else I should be thinking about using?

thanks,

Paul, kg7hf